A Sweet And Salty Holiday Snack
Wednesday - November 15, 2006
‘Tis the season to give thanks, and right now Manoa Valley Theatre is giving thanks for Greg Howell.
Greg is the performer in Fully Committed, a one-man comedy opening at Manoa Valley Theatre tonight. He plays Sam, an out-of-work actor who mans the white-hot reservations line at Manhattan’s trendiest restaurant. He fields calls from all manner of hysterics, tourists and VVVIPs who just have to get a table tonight at the four-star eatery. “Fully committed” is management’s highbrow term for “all booked up.”
In addition to Sam, Howell plays no less than 40 characters! And that’s just Greg’s evenings. In real life, by day, Greg works at Paul Brown Salon.
Don’t miss this hard-working actor in Fully Committed, playing through Dec. 3 at MVT. For tickets, call 988-6131 or go online at www.manoavalleytheatre.com. This column is dedicated to Greg.
The holiday season is quickly approaching, so here are some lower-fat substitutions to trim the fat from your Thanksgiving meal.
* Substitute low-fat margarine such as Smart Balance without trans fats for butter in recipes.
* Use vegetable broth instead of chicken or turkey broth, and look for low-sodium on the label.
* Use egg substitute of egg white for whole eggs. As a general rule two egg whites=1 whole egg in most recipes.
* Use low-fat, skim or evaporated milk instead of whole milk or cream. Whole milk contains 8 grams of fat per 1 cup serving, skim contains 0 grams.
* Use low-fat or nonfat sour cream for dips instead of regular sour cream.
* Try low-fat or nonfat cheese instead of regular cheese for toppings or in recipes calling for cheese.
* For a lower-fat stuffing, add apples or dried fruit instead of sausage or fatty meat products, and bake in a separate pan to avoid the fat from the turkey dripping into the stuffing.
If you are having friends and family over for Thanksgiving, this is a pleasing combination of sweet fruit and salty nuts to tempt the palate. Serve with your favorite wine or soft drinks.
NUTTY FRUITY PALATE PLEASER
* 1 1/4 cups dry-roasted macadamia nuts
* 1 1/4cups dry-roasted almonds
* 1 cup shelled, roasted pistachio nuts
* 1 cup dried cranberries
* 1/2 cup golden raisins
* 1/2 cup diced dried apricots or dates
In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients until well-mixed. Serve in a festive serving dish.
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):