Sporting Wishes For The New Year
Wednesday - January 04, 2006
Julian Sensley: a WAC
season of playing like a
Each New Year, hope for the sports fan springs eternal. It’s the time we can truly believe that all of our favorite teams will contend for the title, that all of our athletic heroes will be role models each and every day, and that our input - that big cheer or mighty yell or sometimes that tiny prayer - really does make a difference in their performance.
Here are some things I truly believe in for the New Year:
* Julian Sensley will play like an NBA lottery pick each in every UH basketball game.
* Matt Lojeski will hit every big three-pointer he tosses up.
* Ahmet Gueye will block every shot in sight and become the first player from Senegal to earn All-American honors.
* Riley Wallace won’t have any reason to have a mean cough.
* Both the Rainbow Warrior men’s team and the Rainbow Wahine women’s team make the NCAA tournament.
* Michelle Wie will make the cut at the Sony Open.
* She will finish this tournament at Waialae and every tournament the rest of the year with a flourish.
* She will make every golf fan forget the name Michael Bamberger.
* June Jones will have the greatest recruiting class in UH football history, especially defensive backs.
* Next year’s team sets an all-time record for most total offense yards and most touchdowns scored.
* The Aloha Stadium Authority will come to its senses and toss aside the controversial tailgating alcohol ban.
* UH will establish a ticket pricing policy that encourages both corporate donations and helps out the average Joe.
* UH football fans will come back to the stadium in droves and behave responsibly at every game.
* Brian Viloria will get a title fight in Hawaii.
* Bryan Clay continues to be the best decathlete in the world, all the way through the Olympics in 2008.
* Fans and players in future high school football state championship games remember that they are guests in the stadium and need to treat the facility with the care that they would treat their own property.
* Dave Shoji will recruit a pair of very athletic 6-foot 5-inch outside hitters.
* Mike Wilton will span the globe for a clone of Yuval Katz.
* The Rainbow baseball team fills the house at Les Murakami Stadium, just like the old days.
* Mike Trapasso’s team is sprinkled with a roster of players with Billy Blanchette’s heart, Glenn Braggs’athletic ability, and Derek Tatsuno’s winning determination.
* The UH athletic program decides once and for all that “Rainbows” is part of its identity and should be a part of all of its teams’ nicknames.
* Green and white are considered the school’s official uniform colors (with the occasional black, silver, or orange thrown in for a little flair, but not as the primary color.)
* 2006 will be the happiest and healthiest year you and your family have ever had.
Happy New Year, everybody. I’d love to hear your suggestions, comments and opinions throughout the year at:
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):