Kimo Akane
By .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
April 12, 2006 Share | | podcast Podcast | | Hawaiian Airlines Discount

WELCOME to Kimo’s Vegas ... The Player’s Edge!

George Clooney and Brad Pitt are currently at odds over a Vegas business deal gone bad
George Clooney and Brad Pitt are currently at odds
over a Vegas business deal gone bad

GEORGE CLOONEY and Brad Pitt are fighting over a bad business deal. You may remember the duo announced plans to build Las Ramblas, a retro Vegas resort. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Pitt pulled out and invested in a resort in Palm Springs instead, forcing Clooney to partner with Rande Gerber (Hollywood power broker and Cindy Crawford’s hubby). Since then, Las Ramblas has had difficulty securing support for its $3 billion, 11-building complex and rumors of the company being sold are rampant. All this should make the set of Ocean’s 13 even more interesting when filming starts in July.

THE VENETIAN just opened its new $2.6 million poker room. Easily the largest and most luxurious poker room in the world, it even has butler service. The 32 tables and seven in the private salon offer Limit and No Limit Hold ‘Em, Stud and Omaha starting at $4.

AND THIS week on Kimo’s Vegas we talk about the largest head-to-head poker game of all time. Self-made billionaire Andy Beal matched $20 million against a revolving cast of 20 pros, including Phil Ivey and Todd Brunson, at The Wynn Las Vegas. In case you were wondering, the average pot size was more than $300,000 and the biggest pot - $1.9 million - with daily wins and losses in the $10 million neighborhood. Beal has won $5.5 million in five days and $12 million on a single day. We’ll chat with author Michael Craig, the only non-player who was invited to the event, Thursday at 9 a.m. on Sports Radio 1420 AM.

THE GOLDEN Nugget has announced a new Slot Tournament next week where you can win $500 to $3,000, his and hers Rolex watches or a new Cadillac SRX (check out for more information).

MORE WIRELESS wonders ... Sprint Nextel mobile phones users will soon be able to buy Las Vegas Monorail tickets on their cell. Users text the word RIDE to 99630 and then receive an image of a ticket that can be scanned by the ticket kiosk, and the Monorail fare gets added to your phone bill. Imagine if they did this at the craps table ... you text $500 to the casino and the pit boss brings you a stack of chips that you pay for on you phone bill.

New Vegas stats:

* The average visitor stays 4.5 days and 3.5 nights (sounds like a Vacations Hawaii package).

* 5 percent said their primary reason for visiting is gambling (were the other 95 percent lying?).

* 86 percent said they gambled 3.6 hours per day and budgeted $627 per trip for gambling.

* The average age is 47.7, down from 50.2.

* 74 percent are married. * 79 percent have a household income greater than $40,000.

* 91 percent are employed or retired. I guess the other 9 percent are just rich.

Get more Kimo’s Vegas two times a week in MidWeek, online at Oceanic Cable’s Around Hawaii and with Brickwood Galuteria Friday morning at 7:20 on Hawaiian105 KINE.

E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |

Most Recent Comment(s):

Posting a comment on requires a free registration.



Auto Login

Forgot Password



Tiare Asia and Alex Bing
were spotted at the Sugar Ray's Bar Lounge