Racing To End Breast Cancer

By Rebecca Pang
Wednesday - October 13, 2010 Share

By Rebecca Pang, board member
Susan G. Komen for the Cure
Hawaii Affiliate

One in eight women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. These are our mothers, sisters, daughters, aunties, friends and colleagues.

This Breast Cancer Awareness Month, what will you promise to help save lives, enhance access to quality care and energize science to find a cure?

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, back in 1982 that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer. Brinker then established the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, which started the global breast cancer movement. Today, Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists.


The Hawaii Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure helps address the under-served and uninsured women of Hawaii. This includes collaboration among Hawaii’s health-care providers and implementation of free screening mammograms, breast health education programs, health fairs and travel funding for Lanai, Molokai and Niihau residents.

Up to 75 percent of Komen Hawaii’s net income stays right here in the state. The remaining 25 percent of proceeds fund national breast cancer research programs.

Runners and walkers are pretty in pink at last year’s Race for the Cure.There’s still time to sign up for this year’s 5K, taking place Sunday, Oct. 17

With your donations, Komen Hawaii was able to give more than $280,000 in grants to community health centers, benefiting the patients of Hui Malama Ola Na Oiwi, West Hawaii Community Health Center, Hawaii Medical Center, Kokua Kalihi Valley, Papa Ola Lokahi, Waimanalo Health Center, Molokai General Hospital, Hamakua Health Center, Bay Clinic, Koolauloa Community Health and Wellness Center, and Waikiki Health Center.

You don’t have to be an entrepreneur or a fundraising expert to join the cause. You just need the desire to make a difference.

We encourage you to sign up for Komen Hawaii’s biggest fundraiser, the 16th Annual Race for the Cure. This 5K Run/Walk takes place Sunday, Oct. 17, at Kapiolani Park. By participating in the Race for the Cure, you can help support the women and men affected by breast cancer.


Make the promise.

To register, donate or for more information, go to komenhawaii.org or call 754-6659.

 


Hawaii charitable organizations may send requests for space in either Proof Positive or the free advertisement below to dchapman@midweek.com.

E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |

Most Recent Comment(s):

Posting a comment on MidWeek.com requires a free registration.

Username

Password

Auto Login

Forgot Password

Sign Up for MidWeek newsletter Times Supermarket
Foodland

 

 



 

 



Hawaii Luxury
Magazine


Tiare Asia and Alex Bing
were spotted at the Sugar Ray's Bar Lounge