A Boston Chef’s Culinary Creations
Wednesday - December 13, 2006
This week we welcome the expertise of Boston native Chef Todd English. This show originally aired May 1, 2004.
For Corn Stock: (you can substitute clam broth)
* 1/2 leek, well-washed and cut on the bias
* 2 celery stalks, cut on the bias
* 8 corn cobs, with corn kernels removed and reserved for the chowder
* 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
* 1/2 large bunch thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper corns
* 1 ham hock (optional)
* 6 quahog clams, scrubbed (optional)
* 8 cups chicken broth or water (to cover ingredients)
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 1/2 cup diced slab bacon (optional)
* 1/4 cup diced onion
* 1/4 cup diced celery
* 1/4 leek, chopped
* 10 new potatoes, cooked and cut in small dice
*1/4-1/2 cup light or heavy cream
* 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
* 1 tablespoon fresh Italian flat leaf parsley leaves
* kosher or sea salt, to taste
* 3/4 pound poached lobster meat, roughly chopped * shaved truffles (optional)
Place the leek, celery, corn cobs, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, pepper-corns and if desired, the ham hock and clams in a large stockpot and cover with the chicken broth or cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours. Strain and discard the solids.
(This should yield about 6 cups.) Set aside.
To make chowder:
Place a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat and when it is hot, add butter. Add the bacon, if desired, the onion and celery and cook until soft and transparent, about 7 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add clams, potatoes, reserved corn stock and the reserved corn kernels and bring to a boil. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the clams have opened, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, divide the chowder among six shallow bowls and serve immediately.
Makes approximately six servings.
SHIITAKE POACHED TURKEY BREAST
WITH PUMPKIN POLENTA
* 4 six-ounce pieces turkey breast For Poaching Liquid:
* 1 small onion, diced small
* 2 ribs celery, diced small
* 1 medium carrot, diced small
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
* 2 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms
* 1 cup vermouth, to deglaze
* 2 quarts chicken stock
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
Saute onions, celery and carrots in oil. Add garlic and shiitake mushrooms. Deglaze with ver-mouth. Add chicken stock and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Poach turkey breasts until the insides are 180 degrees. Remove turkey when done and reduce liquid by half.
For Pumpkin Polenta:
* 1 quart low-fat milk
* 1 quart water
* 1 cup canned pumpkin
* 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
Boil milk, water and pumpkin and slowly whisk in the cornmeal. Cook at a very low temperature for 25 minutes, slowly adding cornmeal.
To serve: Scoop some polenta onto a plate. Carve a piece of turkey from breast and place on top of polenta. Use slotted spoon to retrieve diced carrots, onions, celery and shiitakes from broth and place around mound of polenta. Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):