A Hawaii-style Mexican Fiesta
Wednesday - January 16, 2008
Veronica and Cuauhtemoc Macias of Sinaloa Tortilla join us in the kitchen this week to prepare the following local Mexican favorites.This show aired originally in May 2003.
* 12 Sinaloa corn tortillas
* 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
* 8 cups tomatillos, husked
* 4 cups water
* 1 round onion, halved
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 1/2 ounces chopped fresh cilantro
* 1-2 fresh chilies, jalapeno or serrano
* 3 chicken breasts
* 2 quarts water
* 1 round onion, chopped
* 3 stalks green onions, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, whole, minced
* salt, to taste
* 1 cup Mexican mixed cheeses (example: Jack, American or mozzarrella)
For Salsa (optional):
* 1 pound sour cream
* 2 ounces garlic, finely chopped
* 2 ounces cilantro, finely chopped
Prepare the sauce: Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add tomatillos, halved onion, two garlic cloves and one chili.
Simmer until tomatillos are soft. Cool, drain and reserve cooking water. Blend ingredients in blender or food processor with 1/2 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 chili, cilantro and cooking water. Heat oil in a saucepan and brown onion slices. Add blended sauce and salt. Simmer sauce for 10 minutes or until it thickens slightly. If it becomes too thick, add more cooking water.
Prepare the tortillas: Dip tortillas in hot oil in a frying pan just until pliable. Do not crisp. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Prepare the stuffing: Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and add chicken, onion, garlic and salt. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Cool and remove chicken, then shred.
Fill tortillas with shredded chicken and onion, a little chopped green onions, and mixed cheeses. Place three enchiladas on each dish and pour green sauce over. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or microwave for three minutes. Optional: Top with sour cream salsa.
AHI FLAUTAS WITH CHIPOTLE WASABI AIOLI
* 12 Sinaloa flour tortillas, fajita size
* 1 pound ahi poke
* 1 jalapeno, minced
* 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
* 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
* 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh squeezed
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 poblano chilies, roasted, seeded, sliced thin
* 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
Combine and mix ahi, jalapeno, red onion, green onions and salt in a bowl. Place approximately 2 tablespoons of ahi poke mixture on each tortilla along with a few strips of roasted poblano chilies and cilantro.
Roll up tightly like a cigarette. Skewer each flauta with a toothpick. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
In a medium saut pan, heat the oil until hot. Fry two to three flautas in the hot oil until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Place the fried flautas on serving plates and garnish with the chipotle wasabi aioli sauce.
For Chipotle Wasabi Aioli:
* 1 cup mayonnaise
* 3 tablespoons wasabi
* 1/4 teaspoon chili sesame oil
* 1 tablespoon shoyu
* 4 tablespoons chipotle chili in adobe sauce puree (smoked jalapeno chili)
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
* 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
Combine all ingredients and whisk together to a smooth consistency.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):