A Sampling Of Spicy ‘To Thai For’ Favorites
Wednesday - March 10, 2010
This week Waranuch “Ann” Murphey of To Thai For visits us on the show to prepare the following recipes.
LARB CHICKEN SALAD
* 1 pound ground chicken
* 2 shallots, chopped
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion and parsley
* 10-15 mint leaves, chopped
* 3 tablespoons roasted rice powder
* 1 teaspoon ground Thai chili
* 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce, to taste
* 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
Cook ground chicken in a saucepan with a little bit of water; stir the chicken to separate it when it cooks. Add fish sauce, lime juice, ground Thai chili and roasted rice powder. Mix them up and add mint, parsley, green onion and shallot. Larb is supposed to have a sour, salty and spicy flavor.
Serve with lettuce shells, mint or basil, cucumber and sticky rice.
RED CURRY WITH SEAFOOD
* 3 tablespoons red curry paste
* 2 cups coconut milk
* 2 cups water
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
* 1-2 tablespoons palm sugar
* 2 cups sliced bamboo shoots
* 1 cup sliced carrots
* 10 strips bell pepper
* 1/2 cup cabbage
* 15-20 Thai or sweet basil leaves
* few fresh chilies
Pour vegetable oil in the saucepan on medium heat, add red curry paste, stir it for a minute or until the smell of curry comes out. Then add the coconut milk, water and seasoning with the fish sauce and palm sugar. Let it boil, and add all the seafood. Don’t stir! Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. (My mom’s secret is don’t stir seafood until it cooks, or it will taste fishy.) Add all vegetables, taste it. If you would like it spicier, you can add the fresh chili into the curry and turn the heat off, then add the basil.
Serve the curry with your choice of rice.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):