A Taste Of Turtle Bay Ahi
Wednesday - May 18, 2011
This week on Sam Choy’s Kitchen, we welcome back Turtle Bay Resort and Leonardo’s Executive chef hector morales, who prepares a great tuna dish.
PORCINO CRUSTED TUNA WITH PEPPERONATA
* 1/4 ounce Porcini mushroom powder
* 10 ounces yellow Fin tuna
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* Kosher Salt, to taste
* Fine grind white pepper, to taste
* 3 ounces Pepperonata
* 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley (leaves only, no stems), rough chop
Place tuna and porcini powder in a small stainless steel bowl. shake bowl so the tuna block is evenly coated in the powder. In a heavy bottom, flat sauté pan, add oil and heat over high flame. add the tuna and turn quickly, 10 seconds per side. Remove and season with salt and pepper; refrigerate until needed. slice tuna into 1/8-inch thick slices and arrange on a serving platter. Gently pour the pepperonata over it and top with the chopped parsley.
yields 10 ounces
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 5 each garlic cloves, peeled and sliced on a bias
* 2 each yellow, green and red bell peppers, diced finely
* 4 ounces white wine, Pinot Grigio
* 1/2 cup tomato sauce
* Large pinch of fresh basil (leaves only, no stems), shredded
* Freshly squeezed lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
* Kosher salt, to taste
* Fine grind black pepper, to taste
* Large pinch of fresh italian parsley (leaves only, no stems), fine chop
Add oil and garlic to a large, heavy-bottom pot and heat over a medium flame. add remaining ingredients and simmer over low flame for 45 minutes. season with salt and pepper and let cool. Transfer to a plastic container, cover and refrigerate overnight.
PASTA WITH GARLIC, OLIVE OIL, FRESH TOMATOES AND BASIL
* 1 pound spaghetti, cooked
* 1 cup olive oil
* salt to taste * Pepper to taste
* 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
* Parmesan cheese, grated
Transfer pasta to a large bowl. add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and toss gently. mix tomatoes with salt, pepper and garlic. Gradually stir in basil and remaining oil. Let sauce stand at room temperature for 1 or 2 hours. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. add grated cheese to taste.
Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):