An Island-style Mexican Fiesta
Wednesday - September 26, 2007
This week Veronica and Cuauhtemoc Marcias of Sinaloa Tortillas visit the show to cook up the following Mexican favorites. The show aired originally in March 2002.
SINALOA TACO DURADOS (Sinaloa Fried Tacos)
* 1 package Sinaloa white or yellow corn tortillas
* 1 pound kalua pig, shredded
* 4 ounces shredded cheeses of your choice
* 4 ounces shredded lettuce * 3 ounces sour cream
* 4 ounces salsa * pickled red onions
* 1/2 cup canola oil * 3 ounces cotija cheese
For Pickled Red Onions:
* red onions
* rice vinegar
* garlic salt Slice red onions round, place into bowl, add rice vinegar, garlic salt to taste, allow to chill.
For Taco Preparation:
Take a Sinaloa corn tortilla. Warm slightly on hot grill to soften, allowing for flexibility and better handling of the tortilla. (It’s important to warm the tortilla first.) Place desired amount of kalua pig on the warm tortilla and fold in half. You may choose to use a toothpick on the top of the fold to hold together for frying. Very carefully place the tortilla filled with kalua pig into frying pan with hot oil. Allow taco to fry until golden color appears, turn over the taco and fry on the other side. Once fried, set aside to drain on paper towel. You are ready to fill the fried taco. Gently, do not use a heavy hand, open the fried taco and place the cheeses, lettuce, sour cream and salsa. Garnish with cotija cheese and pickled red onions.
* 1 package Sinaloa corn or white tortillas
* 1 pound shredded cheeses of your choice
* 1 tablespoon chopped black olives
* 2 tablespoons chopped white onions
* 1 tablespoon chopped red onions
* 1/2 teaspoon chopped green onions
* sour cream
* red chili sauce (available at It’s Chili in Hawaii)
* 3 tablespoons cooking oil
Mix together in one large bowl the cheese, black olives, white and red onions and green onions. Set aside.
Take a Sinaloa corn tortilla and dip into the red chili sauce. Remove and place into a frying pan with hot oil. Make sure the oil is hot! Quickly fry for about 4 to 5 seconds on one side. Turn and fry for 2 to 3 seconds on the other side. Remove tortilla from frying pan allowing to drain a little before placing it on the plate. Fill with 1 ounce of mixed ingredients and roll; set on serving plate. Place two or three enchiladas on a plate, garnish with shredded lettuce and top with sour cream.
* 1 package Sinaloa corn or white tortilla
* cheeses of your choice
* filling of your choice (chicken, ground or shredded beef, kalua pig)
* 8 chopped green or round onions
Warm the tortilla in a pan, add cheese and the rest of the ingredients of your choice. Fold the tortilla in half and flip over to warm the other side of the tortilla. Cut in triangles, if desired, and serve with sour cream and salsa.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):