Cajun-Asian Seared Sashimi
Wednesday - April 29, 2009
This week on Sam Choy’s Kitchen, Cajun Seared White Tuna Sashimi with Yukke Sauce and the Counter Old School Burgers with DK Kodama.
Cajun Seared White Tuna Sashimi with Yukke Sauce
* White Tuna Block (also known as Walu)
* 4-5 oz. Soy Sauce
* 2 Tbsp Cajun Blacken Seasoning Mix
* 1 Tbsp. Maui Sweet Onions - thinly sliced
* 1/4 cup Cilantro, Fresh - hand picked leaves
* 1 Tbsp Red Jalapeno Pepper - thinly sliced rings 4-5 each
* Yukke Sauce (recipe follows)
* Yukke Sauce Yield: 1/2 cup
* Soy Sauce
* 1/2 cup Sugar
* 6 Tbsp fresh Ginger minced
* 1 Tbsp Garlic - minced * 1 tsp Crushed Red Chili Flake
* 1/4 tsp Cornstarch Slurry mix
* 2 Tbsp water with 1 Tbsp cornstarch
* 1 tsp Sesame Oil
* 1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
Yukke Sauce Procedure:
Combine and bring to a simmer, in a small sauce pot, the soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic and red chili flakes.
Add and whisk in the corn starch slurry to thicken sauce. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add and blend in the sesame oil and lemon juice. Store refrigerated for service.
Brush all sides of the white tuna block with soy sauce let marinate for 15 minutes.
Coat all sides of the white tuna with the Cajun spices.
Quickly pan sear all sides for 10 seconds. Remove and chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Slice seared tuna, “sashimi style”, and arrange slices on a serving plate. Pour the yukke sauce over the slices and garnish the top with the sliced maui onions, cilantro and red chili pepper rings.
Counter Old School Burger
* 12 oz Ground Beef Chuck Meat 80:20 - hand formed patty
* 12 oz Over Sized Hamburger Bun - split and toasted 1 each
* Sea Salt and Fresh
Milled Black Pepper
* 1/2 cup Shredded Romaine Lettuce
* 1 each Large Tomato Slice
* 6 slices Kosher Dill Pickle Chips
* 2 slices Sliced Cheddar Cheese
* 2 slices Cooked Thick Sliced Smoked Bacon
* 1/4 cup Red Relish - recipe follows
* 1/2 cup Ketchup
* 1/4 cup Sweet Pickle Relish
Red Relish Procedure:
Combine and mix together the ketchup and pickle relish. Reserve.
Hand form the ground beef into a patty that is 1 - 1 1/2” thick. Grill to desired doneness and top with the cheddar to melt. Meanwhile, split and toast the hamburger bun.
Place shredded lettuce, pickles and tomato slice on bottom bun. Top with the grilled burger patty and bacon strips. Close burger with the top bun and serve with the red relish.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):