D.K.’s Yukke Sashimi Is Really Yummy
Wednesday - July 07, 2010
This week, D.K. Kodama visits the show to prepare the following favorites at his restaurant The Counter.
This show aired originally in April 2009.
CAJUN SEARED WHITE TUNA SASHIMI WITH YUKKE SAUCE
* 4-5 ounce white tuna block (aka walu)
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon Cajun blackening seasoning mix
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced Maui sweet onions
* 1 tablespoon fresh, hand-picked cilantro leaves
* 4-7 thinly sliced red jalapeno pepper rings
* 4 tablespoons Yukke Sauce
Brush all sides of the tuna block with soy sauce.
Let marinate for 15 minutes, then coat all sides of tuna with the Cajun spices. Quickly pan-sear all sides for 10 seconds. Remove and chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Slice seared tuna “sashimi style” and arrange slices on a serving plate. Pour the Yukke Sauce over the slices and garnish the top with the sliced Maui onions, cilantro and red chili pepper rings.
Makes one serving.
For Yukke Sauce:
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 6 tablespoons sugar
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
* cornstarch slurry: mix 2 tablespoons water with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Combine soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic and red chili flakes in a small saucepot and bring to a simmer. Whisk in slurry to thicken sauce. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Blend in sesame oil and lemon juice.
Makes 1/2 cup.
COUNTER OLD SCHOOL BURGER
* 12 ounces (80:20) ground beef chuck
* 1 oversized hamburger bun, split and toasted
* sea salt and fresh milled black pepper, to taste
* 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
* 1 large tomato slice
* 6 kosher dill pickle chips
* 2 slices Cheddar cheese
* 2 slices cooked thick-sliced smoked bacon
* 1/4 cup Red Relish
Hand-form the ground beef into a 1 1/2-inch-thick patty.
Grill as desired and top with Cheddar to melt. Split and toast bun. Place lettuce, pickles and tomato on bottom bun. Top with the grilled burger patty and bacon strips. Close burger with the top bun and serve with Red Relish.
Makes one serving.
For Red Relish:
*1/2 cup ketchup
*1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
Combine and mix together the ketchup and pickle relish.
Makes 3/4 cup.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):