Fresh Island Fish With Flair
Wednesday - October 19, 2011
This week on the show, Mauna Kea Beach Hotel executive chef George Gomes Jr. shares two of his fresh fish creations. This show aired originally in February 2010.
BIG EYE “ABURA” AHI SASHIMI
* 2 6-ounce big eye tuna blocks
* 1 organic cucumber, thinly sliced
* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt For Ice Cream:
* 3 egg yolks
* 1 cup cream
* 2 tablespoons English mustard mixed with water
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
* 1 tablespoon Yamasa Soy Sauce
* 2 tablespoons BuBu Arare Pearls
* 1 tablespoon Hawaiian sea salt
For ice cream, whisk together egg yolks and cream and cook until slightly thickened. Strain and whisk in mustard paste, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce until combined. Place in ice cream machine and freeze.
To serve, mix cucumber with vinegar, salt and sugar and place in center of bowl. Slice sashimi and place on cucumber mixture. Top with arare and sea salt. Place small scoop of ice cream in bowl. For aromatherapy, use smoking gun with vanilla dust and smoke sashimi. Cover with lid; remove lid at table. Serve immediately.
Makes four servings.
ROASTED OPAKAPAKA, LINGUICA SAUSAGE AND CLAMS
* 4 4-ounce fresh opakapaka filets
* 20 clams
* 1/2 cup chopped linguica sausage
* 2 tablespoon juliennecut piquillo peppers
* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 1 cup fresh corn kernels
* 2 shallots, minced
* salt, as needed
* 2 tablespoon chorizo oil
For corn, gently heat with shallots and salt. Puree corn until smooth. Keep warm.
Place linguiça and clams in pot with extra virgin olive oil. Cover clams and cook until just open; add in piquillo peppers. Season to taste.
Season opakapaka and sear in hot pan until browned on both sides. Place clams in center of plate. Place opakapaka on top. Spoon corn puree on plate. Drizzle with chorizo oil. Serve immediately.
Makes four servings.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):