Get Going With Grandma’s Pumpkin Bread
Wednesday - September 30, 2009
This week on Sam Choy’s Kitchen, enjoy a cup of Hawaii coffee with Grandma’s Go-Go Pumpkin Bread.
* 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
* 3 cups sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
* 1 16-ounce canned pumpkin or (2 cups fresh pumpkin)
*1 cup vegetable oil
* 2/3 cup water if pumpkin is canned (or 1/2 cup water if pumpkin is fresh or frozen)
Prepare two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans and spray generously with Pam. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, sift dry ingredients together. In another mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients, then combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Mix well but do not over beat.
Pour into loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour. Cool slightly and take out of pans to let cool on a rack.
Place loaves on a clean, lint-free cloth. Cover with another cloth. Place cooled loaves in Ziplock bags. Refrigerate or freeze.
The bread needs to “cure” in the refrigerator or freezer at least overnight.
It will freeze well up to three months.
To serve, slice loaves. Spread a slice with the soft honey cream cheese spread and top with another slice.
Honey Cream Cheese Spread
* 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
* 2 tablespoons honey
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):