Getting Creative With D.K. In The Kitchen
Wednesday - March 17, 2010
On this week’s show we get creative with items on the Hawaii Foodbank wish list and concoct a tasty miso chicken dish, while visiting Chef D.K. Kodama prepares Stuffed French Toast.
HIBACHI MISO CHICKEN WITH PEANUT BUTTER
* 5 pounds boneless skinless thighs
Combine marinade ingredients and marinate chicken overnight in refrigerator. Grill over charcoal. There is not enough rice in the world to eat when you start devouring this dish!
* 1/2 cup miso
* 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup beer
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
* 2 slices Hawaiian sweet bread loaf (thick sliced 1 inch)
* 1/2 cup French Toast Filling
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 2 large eggs, beaten
* 1/2 cup Panko-Macadamia Nut Crust Mix
* 1 cup Fresh Berry Mix
* 1 cup whipped cream
Evenly spread 1/2 cup of filling on one side of sweet bread. Close with the second slice of sweet bread; double dip bread in the following order:
* egg wash
* Panko-Macadamia Nut Crust Mix
Hold refrigerated until ready to serve.
Deep-fry stuffed French toast until golden brown. Remove and drain off excess oil. Bias slice in half and arrange on a serving plate. Sprinkle slices with powdered sugar and top with the fresh berry mix.
Garnish top with a large rosette of whipped cream and serve with maple syrup.
For French Toast Filling:
* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 2 tablespoons sour cream
* 1/4 cup fruit jam or fruit pie filling
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon honey
Mix together the cream cheese and sour cream in a mixing bowl. Add and blend in the remaining ingredients. Store refrigerated.
For Panko Macadamia Nut Crust Mix:
* 2 cups panko crumbs
* 1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
For Fresh Berry Mix:
* 1/2 cup raspberries
* 1/2 cup blueberries
* 1 cup strawberries
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):