Grillin’ And Chillin’ With Lobster
Wednesday - November 01, 2006
This week we serve up two lobster dishes from my newly released Aloha Cuisine cookbook.
BROILED LOBSTER WITH BASIL-GARLIC BUTTER SAUCE AND GRILLED CORN
* 1 1/2 pounds fresh live Maine lobster
* salt and pepper, to taste
* Basil-Garlic Butter Sauce
* Grilled Corn Relish
Cut lobster in half, season with salt and pepper, and broil until cooked.
To serve, place lobster on a platter and drizzle with basil-garlic butter sauce, or serve basil-garlic butter sauce in a ramekin on the side for dipping. Garnish lobster with lemon wedges, and serve with grilled corn relish.
For Basil-Garlic Butter Sauce:
* 6 tablespoons butter, softened
* 2 teaspoons pureed fresh garlic
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
* juice of 1/2 fresh lemon * salt and pepper, to taste
Heat butter and add the rest of the ingredients except basil. Cook until garlic is translucent. Add basil and cook for 30 seconds.
For Grilled Corn Relish:
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
* 2 tablespoons light olive oil
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 3 corn cobs, grilled then shucked * salt and pepper, to taste
* 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
Saute the onions and pepper with olive oil. Add garlic and grilled corn kernels. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in cilantro and serve.
TAHITIAN COLD LOBSTER
* 1 1/2 pounds lobster
* juice of 1 lemon
* 1 teaspoon cracked pepper-corns
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 1 beer
* 2 tablespoons asparagus, chopped (parboil until tender before chopping)
* 2 tablespoons green peas
* 2 tablespoons diced carrots (parboiled 2-3 minutes)
* 1/2 teaspoon minced Chinese parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill
* 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped (or frozen cooked spinach, squeezed)
* 2 tablespoons diced water chestnuts
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
Steam lobster for 6 to 8 minutes over boiling water to which you have added lemon juice, cracked peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic and beer. Remove lobster from steamer when cooked and immediately submerge in ice water. Let remain in ice water until chilled, about 15 to 20 minutes.
While lobster cools, make the salad by mixing all remaining ingredients, except for the mayonnaise and curry powder. Blend mayonnaise and curry powder together, then mix thoroughly with vegetables.
Split the lobster in two, remove tail meat, discard innards and reserve shell. Fill shell about half full with salad mix, reserving about one half cup of the mix. Slice tail meat into three-four sections and replace in tail over salad, leaving gaps between sections to fill with reserved salad mix. Crack claws and use for garnish.
Arrange stuffed lobster and cracked claws on bed of finely chopped lettuce and garnish with lemon wedges and a sprig of fresh dill.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):