Grilling On Lanai
Wednesday - October 17, 2007
This week we enjoy venison and salmon at the signature 17th hole on the grounds of Koele Lodge, Lanai. This show aired originally in August 2002.
SEARED LANAI VENISON
* 4 6-ounce pieces strip loin of Lanai venison
* olive oil
* salt and pepper, to taste Grill venison to medium rare.
For Sweet Potato Hash:
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1/2 yellow pepper, medium dice
* 1/2 green pepper, medium dice
* 4 pearl onions
* 6 ounces sweet potato, medium dice
* 6 ounces Yukon gold potato, medium dice
* foie gras
* smoked apple bacon
In a saucepan, saut the peppers and onions in olive oil. Add the diced potatoes; add butter. Add the foie gras and bacon and simmer.
Add herbs and spices to taste.
For Foie Gras Sauce:
* 2 ounces foie gras
* 1 ounce smoked apple bacon
* 1/2 cup merlot wine
* 1 cup beef broth
* salt and pepper, to taste
* chopped parsley, to taste
* chives, to taste
* thyme, to taste
In a small saucepan, sear the cubed foie gras and bacon. Remove the foie gras when oils have been emitted. Add merlot and broth. Season to taste with salt, pepper and herbs.
* 4 6-ounce salmon filets
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* salt and pepper, to taste Grill the salmon. Do not over-cook.
For Goat Cheese Potatoes:
* 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, medium dice and precooked
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 ounces butter
* 4 ounces goat cheese
* 6 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
* 3 tablespoons chopped basil
* garlic, to taste
Smash the precooked potatoes into the goat cheese and the rest of the ingredients. Serve under the grilled salmon.
For Spring Vegetable Salad:
* 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* green onions, chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic, roasted and mashed
* Kona lobster or shrimp, cooked and chopped
* 10 pieces jumbo asparagus, chopped
* 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
* 12 sugar snap peas
* pepper, to taste
Saut in pan and put over grilled salmon. Add micro greens to garnish.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):