Let Them Eat Cake And Sushi
Wednesday - June 10, 2009
On this week’s show, we get a taste of what’s cooking at Diamond Head Market and Grill. This show aired originally in February 2008.
BROWN RICE INARI SUSHI
* 1 package inari sushi (cone or deep-fried tofu pouches) aka aburage
* 3 cups brown rice (cooked)
* 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
Combine vinegar and sugar; mix until sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle hot brown rice with salt and slowly add vinegar mixture, allowing hot rice to absorb the liquid. Allow the seasoned rice to cool before adding the following ingredients:
* seasoned grilled salmon, chopped
* seaweed, chopped, or furikake
* sesame seed oil, to taste
* sesame seeds
* salt and pepper, to taste (if needed)
* cucumber, grated
* carrots, grated Gently combine salmon and seaweed or whatever ingredients you want to add to your sushi with the seasoned rice. Stuff the rice mixture into the inari sushi and serve.
* 2 layers (1/2 inch high by 9 inches round) vanilla cake (your favorite recipe)
* 2 layers (1/2 inch high by 9 inches round) chocolate cake (your favorite recipe)
* 3 cups pastry cream (or your favorite vanilla or chocolate cake filling)
* simple syrup (optional), see recipe below
* 2 cups whipped top-ping (non-dairy or whipped sweetened heavy cream)
Trim tops off each cake so that it is level. Each round needs to be cut into 3 concentric circles. You may use a 6-inch round cake pan to mark the first (outer) circle, and a 3-inch biscuit cutter to mark the inner circle. Cut vertically down each marked circle.
Lift one of the outer circles of the vanilla cake and place on flat surface (preferably 9-inch cardboard cake circle or flat serving plate you plan to serve cake on). Lightly coat inner edge of cake with filling (this is the glue that will hold the next ring of the cake to the outer ring). Carefully take middle ring of chocolate cake and place to fit against vanilla ring. Lightly coat inner edge of cake with filling (this is the glue that will hole the 3-inch circle of the cake to the middle ring). Finally, take 3-inch circle of vanilla cake and place inside chocolate cake ring. Drizzle simple syrup (optional) over this first layer of cake. Top with a thin layer of filling.
Follow the procedure in above paragraph alternating vanilla and chocolate cakes. (i.e. your second layer will start with the chocolate as the outer ring, then the vanilla for the middle and 3-inch chocolate circle in the middle.) You will have a total of four layers.
Frost cake with your favorite icing or whipped topping. Refrigerate cake. Should be assembled at least six hours before cutting.
For Simple Syrup:
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 cup sugar Combine and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool before storing in refrigerator. Any leftovers can be refrigerated up to two months.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):