Making Magic With Mushrooms
Wednesday - June 04, 2008
This week, Grant Sato, Kapiolani Community College chef-instructor, is in the kitchen cooking with Hamakua mushrooms.
This show aired originally in December 2006.
CREAM OF HAMAKUA MUSHROOM SOUP WITH ALI’I CROUTONS
* 1/4 pound butter
* 1 cup small-diced onions or shallots
* 2 cups shredded or diced Hamakua mushrooms (Ali’i, Shimeji, Oyster)
* 1/2 cup flour
* 8 cups chicken broth or stock
* 1/2cup heavy cream, optional
* salt and pepper, to taste For Croutons:
* 1 cup medium-diced Ali’i mushrooms
* 3 cups salad oil
Heat a medium-sized pan and melt butter. Add the onions and mushrooms and lightly sweat. Add in the flour and stir well until all the flour is incorporated with the butter, onions and mushrooms.
Deglaze with the stock and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the flour from scorching on the bottom of the pan.
In a separate pan, heat the salad oil on high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the Ali’i mushrooms and fry until golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain the oil.
Finish the soup by adding the heavy cream (optional) and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with Ali’i mushroom croutons or pour over chicken and bake as mushroom chicken.
Makes four servings.
CRISPY SNAPPER WITH THAI CHILI AND HAMAKUA MUSHROOM SAUCE
* 1 pound of your favorite snapper, whole or filet
* 1/2 cup cornstarch, for dusting
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 6 cups salad oil For Sauce:
* 2 tablespoons salad oil
* 1/2 cup small-diced onion
* 1/2 cup small-diced green bell pepper
* 1/2 cup small-diced red jalapeno
* 1/2 cup sliced garlic
* 1 cup shredded Hamakua mushrooms (Ali’i, Shimeji, Oyster)
* 2 cups chicken stock
* 1 tablespoon fish sauce
* 1 tablespoon Aloha shoyu
* 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
* 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch slurry, to thicken
Heat a wok or sauté pan on high. Add in the oil and heat.
Dust the fish with salt and pepper and then cornstarch. Fry the fish crispy and set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok or sauté pan. Add in the onion, peppers, garlic and mushrooms. Lightly sauté and deglaze with the chicken stock. Season with fish sauce and shoyu and thicken with a cornstarch slurry. Add in the basil and cilantro and serve over fish.
Makes two servings.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):