Mixing Up Local Flavors With Flair
Wednesday - December 07, 2011
KTA’s Derek Kurisu visits the show this week to cook up the following recipes.
SPICY POKE SALAD
* 3/4-1 pound fresh local ahi fillet, diced in poke-size pieces
* 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
* 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon Hawaiian rock salt
* 1/2 locally grown avocado, diced
* 1 teaspoon capers
Mix mayonnaise and Sriracha. Add in ahi, salt and capers, then add avocados and mix.
Place on fresh local vegetable salad.
* 1/2-3/4 pound of your favorite poke
* 1 tub surimi (raw fish paste sold on the island of Hawaii)
* 1 local egg
* diced water chestnuts, optional
Mix surimi and poke; add egg. Mix and set aside in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
Form into 2-inch balls and flatten into patties while frying in oil.
PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE HAMBURGER
* 1 pound local grassfed ground beef
* 1 10-ounce package Mountain Apple Brand Portuguese Sausage
* 1/2 cup sliced Maui round onions
* 1 local egg
Remove Portuguese sausage from casing and chop into smaller pieces. Mix with hamburger, onions and egg.
Form into patties and fry in oil.
CRèME FRESH ON LOCAL FRUITS
* 1 cup Meadow Gold sour cream
* 6 ounces Meadow Gold low-fat vanilla yogurt
* 2 tablespoons Maui brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate and serve on sliced local fruits such as Waimea strawberries, bananas, pineapple, etc., muffins or toast.
Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):