Nutritious, Delicious Fresh Island Produce
Wednesday - February 03, 2010
This week we’re in the kitchen cooking with the homegrown produce of Aloun Farms.
It’s healthy to eat Island fresh!
This show aired originally in March 2009.
BOUNTY OF EWA SALAD
* 1 cup Ewa sweet corn kernels
* 1 cup chopped Ewa jade beans
* 1 cup Ewa sweet onion, diced small
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 tablespoon curry powder
* pinch salt
* pinch pepper
* 1 cup Okinawan sweet potato, cooked, medium diced
* 1 cup Ewa sweet pumpkin, cooked, medium diced
* 1 cup mayonnaise
Heat a medium-size sauté pan on medium heat and melt butter. When the butter is melted, add in the corn, onions and beans and sauté for a minute. Then add in the curry powder, salt and pepper, sauté for a minute and remove from heat.
Refrigerate the mixture until cold. Once the mixture is cold, place it in a bowl and combine with the cooked potato and cooked pumpkin. Add in the mayonnaise and mix well, making sure to not break up the cooked potato or pumpkin.
Serve cold as a new way to enjoy a potato salad.
Makes six servings.
JOY OF CHOY OXTAIL SOUP
* 1 cup Aloha Shoyu
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons minced ginger
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
* 1 pound oxtails
* 1 gallon beef stock
* 3 slices green papaya
* 1 slice ginger
* 1/2 cup kai choy (mustard cabbage), cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1/2 cup pak choy (white stem cabbage), cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1/2 cup bok choy (Shanghai cabbage), cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1/2 cup diced long squash
* 1/2 cup diced carrot
Combine the shoyu, sugar, ginger, garlic and sesame seed oil in a bowl and marinate the oxtail for a couple of hours.
Bring beef stock to a boil, add the ginger slices and green papaya, and reduce to a simmer.
Remove the oxtails from the marinade and simmer in the stock until tender. Place the stems of the cabbages, carrots and long squash into the pot as well. Once the cabbage stems and carrots are tender, place the leaves of the cabbage into the bottom of the serving bowl and top with the oxtails, cabbage stems, long squash, carrots, and then top with some strained stock and serve hot.
Makes four servings.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):