On A Roll With Deep-fried Tofu
Wednesday - February 04, 2009
Paul Uyehara and Tuyet Trinh of Aloha Tofu visit the show this week to prepare the following tofu recipes.
This show aired originally in October 2005.
DEEP-FRIED TOFU ROLL
* 8 sheets 12-inch round rice paper wrapper
* 1 cup warm water, in a large bowl
* 8 ounces rice stick, add to boiling water for 5 minutes, rinse in cold water, drain and set aside
* iceberg lettuce, shredded
* bean sprouts, washed and drained
* 8 mint leaves
* carrots, shredded (optional)
* cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch strips, 3 inches long (optional)
* 2 pieces Aloha Tofu brand deep-fried tofu (atsuage) cut into 1/4-inch strips
* 2 tablespoons oil
* 2 heaping tablespoons minced garlic
* 1/2 round onion, cut into wedges
* 1 heaping tablespoon minced lemongrass
* 2 heaping tablespoons oyster sauce
Heat oil in frying pan and then add garlic, onions, lemongrass, tofu and oyster sauce. Cook until onions are transparent. Set aside.
Dip rice paper wrapper into warm water; quickly remove and lay flat on a clean, damp towel. (Note: The sticky side of the wrapper should be facing down, in contact with the towel.)
Lay shredded lettuce on bottom third of the wrapper. Place rice sticks, carrots, cucumbers and several bean sprouts on top of lettuce. In the middle of the wrapper, arrange two strips of tofu, then mint leaves and two more strips of tofu.
Roll wrapper halfway up to form a cylinder. Fold both sides of wrapper over the filling and continue to roll until fully sealed.
Keep covered with a clean, damp towel until ready to serve.
Serve with peanut sauce.
For Peanut Sauce:
* oil, for frying
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 4 heaping tablespoons hoisin sauce
* 1/2 cup water
* 2 heaping tablespoons creamy peanut butter
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 small red chili pepper, seeded and minced
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with water
* 2 tablespoons minced roasted peanuts (optional)
Mix hoisin sauce, water and peanut butter until creamy; add sugar and chili pepper.
Heat oil in saucepan and add garlic. Add mixture and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture to thicken.
Allow to cool and serve with deep-fried tofu rolls.
DEEP-FRIED TOFU WITH EGGPLANT
* 2 pieces Aloha Tofu brand deep-fried tofu (atsuage), cut into bite-size pieces
* 2 medium-size long eggplant
* 15 medium-size shrimp
* 2 tablespoons oil, for frying
* 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
* 1 medium round onion, cut into wedges
* 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
* 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, then in 1/4-inch diagonal pieces. Boil eggplant until soft then set aside.
Heat oil in frying pan and add garlic, round onions, shrimp, deep-fried tofu, oyster sauce and green onions. Add eggplant, stir and serve.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):