On A Roll With Tofu
Wednesday - January 25, 2006
We’re on a roll this week in the kitchen combining tofu steak with Shirakiku No-Wash Rice to make a satsifying and delicious vegetarian-style sushi.
TOFU STEAK TEMAKI SUSHI
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 2 pieces House Steak Tofu Garlic Pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
* 1/2 cup of your favorite teriyaki sauce or Sam Choy’s Garlic Ginger Sauce
* 4 cups Shirakiku No-Wash Rice or short grain rice
* sesame seeds, sprinkle over rice
* 1/2 cup sushi vinegar or powdered sushi flavoring
* 1/3 cucumber cut into 1/2-inch strips
* 1/3 pickled radish (takuwan), cut into1/2-inch strips
* 1 avocado, slice into 12 pieces
* 11/4 cup mayonnaise
* 8 sheets temaki nori (sea-weed)
* 1-2 tablespoon pickled ginger, chopped or sliced, served on the side of the plate
1) Cook rice, and while it is hot, add sushi vinegar or sushi powder.
2) In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Cook tofu until browned. Add teriyaki sauce and cook until all moisture has evaporated.
3) Lay out nori and put rice on top. Spread rice evenly over half of nori 1/4 inch thick; put wasabi on rice (if you desire). Place two pieces of tofu, cucumber, sliced takuwan, avocado and add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Roll the nori sheet to form a cone shape (hand-held cone shape sushi).
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):