Sharing Grandma’s Specialties
Wednesday - February 18, 2009
This week former Miss Hawaii USA Jennifer Fairbank visits the show to share her family recipes. This show aired originally in November 2005.
GRANDMA’S MEAT JUN
* 2-3 pounds chuck roast
* 1 cup shoyu
* 1/4 cup sesame seed oil
* 4-5 stalks green onion, finely chopped
* 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
* 4 eggs, beaten
* oil, for frying
Cut meat into thin slices. Place in a bowl. Add shoyu, oil, green onions and garlic; mix well.
Pour flour into a flat pan. Dip marinated meat pieces in flour. Transfer meat into beaten eggs. Drip off excess. Fry until golden brown.
For Dipping Sauce:
* 1 cup shoyu
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* 2 stalks green onion, finely chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* sesame seeds, roasted and crushed
GRANDMA’S CUCUMBER KIM CHEE
* 2 cucumbers, preferably Japanese variety
* 3 stalks green onion, finely chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon crushed chili pepper flakes (kochu karu)
* 1 tablespoon finely ground chili powder
* 1 tablespoon red pepper paste (kochu jang)
* 1/2 cup shoyu
* 1/4 cup white vinegar
* 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
* dash of sugar
Cut cucumbers lengthwise. Slice into bite-size pieces.Place in a bowl. Add all ingredients and mix well.
Chill before serving.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):