Yukke-ing It Up With D.K. Kodama
Wednesday - July 06, 2011
This week chef D.K. Kodama of The Counter visits the show to prepare the following favorite recipes.
This show aired originally in April 2009.
CAJUN SEARED WHITE TUNA SASHIMI WITH YUKKE SAUCE
* 4 to 5-ounce white tuna block (also known as walu)
* 2 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon Cajun blackening seasoning mix
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced Maui sweet onions
* 1 tablespoon fresh, hand-picked cilantro leaves
* 4-5 thinly sliced red jalapeno pepper rings
* 4 tablespoons Yukke Sauce (recipe follows)
Brush all sides of the white tuna block with soy sauce; let marinate for 15 minutes.
Coat all sides of the white tuna with the Cajun spices.
Quickly pan-sear all sides for 10 seconds. Remove and chill in the refrigerator before serving.
To serve, slice seared tuna “sashimi style” and arrange slices on a serving plate.
Pour the yukke sauce over the slices and garnish the top with sliced Maui onions, cilantro and red chili pepper rings.
Makes one serving.
For Yukke Sauce:
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 6 tablespoons sugar
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
* cornstarch slurry (mix 2 tablespoons water with 1 tablespoon cornstarch)
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In a small sauce pot, combine and bring to a simmer soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic and red chili flakes.
Add and whisk in the cornstarch slurry to thicken sauce.
Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Add and blend in the sesame oil and lemon juice. Store refrigerated.
Makes 1/2 cup.
THE COUNTER OLD SCHOOL BURGER
* 12 ounces ground beef chuck (80:20), hand-formed patty
* 1 oversized hamburger bun, split and toasted
* sea salt and fresh milled black pepper, to taste
* 1 large tomato slice
* 6 kosher dill pickle chips
* 2 slices Cheddar cheese
* 2 slices cooked thicksliced smoked bacon
* 1/4 cup Red Relish (recipe follows)
Hand-form the ground beef into a 1to 1 1/2inch-thick patty. Grill to desired doneness and top with the Cheddar to melt.
Meanwhile, split and toast the hamburger bun.
Place shredded lettuce, pickles and tomato slice on bottom bun.
Top with the grilled burger patty and bacon strips.
Close burger with the top bun and serve with the red relish.
For Red Relish:
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
Combine and mix together the ketchup and pickle relish.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):