Wednesday - February 25, 2009
Our 19-year-old son and college boy has become my adviser in the pursuit of healthy living. He’s an expert of sorts in the ways of Eastern remedies. Knowledge of teas, meditation and inner energy are some of the things he has tried to impart to me so I may pursue a healthier path.
Of course, I’m not exactly Kwai Chang Caine of the 1970s Kung Fu TV series with David Carradine, so I’m slow to adapt to the ways of the wise. For the longest time I’ve experienced shoulder pain, which became a burden to our kids, as I would recruit them for shoulder massages.
The best way to get out of doing those, our son figured, was to cure it. He did extensive research on what could be done outside of the conventional medical route. Although he’s attending a university in California, he came up with a long-distance plan.
He e-mailed me the name and address of his findings, a highly recommended acupuncturist. It also just so happens that she has an office in Kaneohe, where I work. I was somewhat skeptical that allowing needles to be stuck into me could be a cure.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that she was totally professional and seemed quite knowledgeable about her practice. She took down my history to see if there was other advice she could give me besides the problem concerning my shoulder. She asked me about my eating habits.
Answering that question was going to take me way beyond the hourly session range, so she narrowed it down to snacks. Although that category alone might take up the entire wing of the state library, I basically told her I enjoyed microwave popcorn.
She said that the hydrogenated oils were not healthy, and told me how to make microwave popcorn the organic way. Just seal popcorn kernels in a paper bag and microwave, no oil needed. In a single session, her acupuncture treatment cured my shoulder, but I wanted to go home and make popcorn.
That evening, I assembled my new microwave popcorn bag, and my wife laughed and went into the other room. The problem was that I used the auto popcorn setting on the microwave so that my snack ended up being a cloud of burnt popcorn smoke, which set off our smoke detectors and fire alarm. I opened the door leading from the kitchen to the garage in order to dissipate the smoke. I didn’t know my wife had all of her work clothes drying on the clotheslines in the garage.
In the end, I was on the hook for buying my wife a new wardrobe and was banned from eating popcorn of any kind.
I heard eating organic food was expensive.
Ron’s WEBSITE of the week: www.windwardacupuncture.com
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS Comments (0) |
Most Recent Comment(s):