Sign Up To Be The First ‘Latino Idol’

Wednesday - February 14, 2007
By Lisa Asato
E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS | Share

Move over Kelly Clarkson, the first “Hawaii’s Annual Latino Idol"is coming to Panama Hatties in Aiea for Latin-blooded men and women 18 and older.

“Sign up and be Hawaii’s first Latino Idol,“said Nancy Ortiz, producer and promoter of Alma Latina Productions, which is co-sponsoring the event. “We’re doing sign-ups the whole month of February,and the first audition starts on March 2 and it runs for 10 weeks.

“There’s no entry fee,” she added. “All we ask is that the selections have either Spanish lyrics or a Spanish flavor. Sometimes the fourth-generation, they can’t sing in Spanish, but they can sure do the medley.”

The top talent, announced May 4, will win $1,000 cash, the opportunity to record a CD single and a spot as a featured performer at down-town’s Cinco de Mayo block party as well as at the seventh annual Salsathon in June. A dinner, trips to the Neighbor Islands and more round out the prizes.

Judging will account for 60 percent of the vote, and the audience will make up the remaining 40 percent, so invite your friends as contestants are required to bring five guests when they compete. Cover charge is $8.

Deadline for sign-ups is Feb. 23 by visiting Panama Hatties at 99-016 Kamehameha Highway, above Dixie Grill, on Fridays between 9:30 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. during “La Zona Latina.” Bring a 5-by-7-inch headshot. Latino Idol hopefuls may also sign up by contacting Ortiz by e-mail at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or by phone at 285-0072.

“We have a lot of entertainment out there that has not been tapped; this will give the 18-andover crowd an opportunity to come forward and show a positive note of our culture,” said Ortiz, who created Latino Idol with Panama Hatties’ co-owners Jack Cione, Larry Haanio and Yemun Chung.

E-mail this story | Print this page | Comments (0) | Archive | RSS

Most Recent Comment(s):

Posting a comment on requires a free registration.



Auto Login

Forgot Password

Sign Up for MidWeek newsletter Times Supermarket



Hawaii Luxury

Tiare Asia and Alex Bing
were spotted at the Sugar Ray's Bar Lounge